FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:54 am
azzurro

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canalskater
I have a ticket with UA for Syd to Yow.($1700) that I want to cancel . I was told by UA that I will get charged a $300 change fee the next ticket I book and then will have a UA credit for the balance. I was also told the first new ticket I book has to be in my name, but any leftover credit can be used by anyone. Is this correct or is it possible to use the entire amount for someone else in my family (my son is flying YOW-MEL in a few weeks).
If UA is correct, i am thinking of buying the absolute cheapest UA flight and then having the credit for future use for anyone.
Thanks for assistance and any ideas on the cheapest UA flight out there.
As you may have read in past posts, you may wish to wait to cancel as a couple things could result in your getting a full refund, especially if your flight is still quite a ways away: if they change scheduled and cause a misconnect or your arrival departure time is so different that you can no longer accomplish what you initially purchased the ticket for (late for an event, etc), or there is a travel waiver on your scheduled time of departure. It is also possible that neither of these 2 things will happen but could be useful to not cancel the ticket until an hour before departure...