FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}
Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:40 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fsexman
I bought three tickets to Hawaii for tomorrow and I tried to cancel them. It's an L fare, so the message says "This reservation has no refundable value if cancelled. A refund will not be credited."

Is that really so? Is canceling really the same as a a no-show? Do I not get any credit for future flights? I'm UA Gold in case that means anything. Thanks!
Refund = money back to original form of payment.

Credit = dollar amount useable for future travel on United

While I agree using the term "credited" in the last sentence can seem confusing (clear wording has never been new UAs strong suit), in this case, it means you will not get a refund (back to your card, for example). You will get a credit.

After confirming the cancelation, your PNR will go into an "inactive" tab in your account online (for some, supposedly its a canceled tab, but that's not my experience), without any flights listed. You'll be able to make change the itinerary to add new flights, and will have full use of the value - your change fee will be charged when you book the new flights.