FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:06 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What's the word on the street about refusing the hands-up all-body scanner?
Well I've done the refusal, and I was taken to the former IRIS registration office just past Boots for a frisk in private by two gentlemen from HAL. Well, one frisking, the other watching. The frisk was precisely the same as one would get in public, unless I missed something, though umpteen years of playing rugby means I'm totally oblivious to any sensitivity when it comes to personal privacy. I don't know why this was done in an office.

However the initial conversation, when I declined the scanner, was quite remarkable. I didn't post it at the time since after this happened there was one of those events in the Middle East, so it would have been in poor taste, but it went very roughly something like this:

CWS: I wish to decline the scanner and be searched by hand instead.
HAL person: Why?
CWS: I don't think I need to give a reason, but I'd simply prefer not to be scanned.
HAL: I'm just curious as to the reasons why?
CWS: It didn't do the cat much good.
HAL: (puzzled look) But you will miss your flight! Erm, when did you say your flight was?
CWS: I don't think you asked but it's in three hours time.
HAL: We'll have to check your bags thoroughly too and that may take time.
CWS (Hands over Kindle, biro, passport, boarding pass, credit card and a sealed new pack of post it notes). That's it.
HAL: I mean your hand luggage. And your mobile phone.
CWS: Haven't got either of those today.
HAL: And let me guess, no checked luggage?
CWS: Correct.
[HAL person looks like someone from Mars has landed, goes off to see supervisor and returns]
HAL: OK, well it won't take long then and we will have you on your way.

And so it proved. They took me to the office, they asked me to sit down while they filled in some paperwork, then I was searched and that was it. I didn't sign anything but they did ask me to write my name down on the form. There was however the strange spectacle of HAL carefully opening the pack of post it notes, checking through them and swabbing them. They didn't even look at the Kindle, though I think they forgot about it.