FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airbag recalls and rental car companies - what do they do?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:56 pm
randix

Wink That's easy, I'll tell ya what they'll do...

Originally Posted by dtc
It seems like a bazillion cars (Chevy's, Honda's) are being recalled due to air bag issues. Including the rentally popular Cruze - which had a stop/sale order earlier this year.

What do rental car companies do about this?

I'm guessing "continue to put them in revenue service despite the recall". Would that be correct?

EDIT: Oh interesting... the Cruze airbag is a different problem than the Takata/Honda one (which mainly involves older cars)

They'll come up with a new "optional" charge their rental agents can push...

"So madam, now that you've taken care of the add'l charges for the prepaid fuel tank, extra driver, our exemplary liability and collision insurance package that serves as a backup in case Geico, State Farm or Allstate goes bankrupt, road hazard coverage, our special guarantee that everything mechanical in your car will function for the first 24 hrs of your weekly rental, I highly recommend that you pay our $19.95 airbag coverage, which will cover the first $100 of your medical expenses should the airbag in the vehicle malfunction and cause you loss of limb (of course should this happen within the first 24 hrs of your rental, we will rebate back to you $5.99 of the cost). What d'ya say, would you like to add this coverage, I highly recommend it!"