FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip report: Park Hyatt Sydney (wow!)
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:05 am
theLuxuryTravelExpert

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Trip report: Park Hyatt Sydney (wow!)

A few weeks ago, I stayed at the Park Hyatt Sydney (3 nights). This hotel has been on my bucket list for a long time, and the amazing experience surpassed my already very high expectations. I cannot imagine that other hotels in Sydney could be better in terms of location, view, service, and modern facilities, although I did not visit them of course (I did enjoy though the food + killer views from the top floor restaurant at the nearby Shangri-La).

To give you an impression of the hotel
- I uploaded a lot of photos here: http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...-hyatt-sydney/
- I also made a Youtube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xSEp7NPVg

PROS & THINGS I LIKED:
- The hotel enjoys an unique and breathtaking Sydney harbour front location, with stunning views of the Harbour Bridge, the Opera House, and the Downtown Sydney skyline.
- Park Hyatt’s signature minimalist design throughout the hotel (lobby, restaurants, rooms) is impressive.
- I liked my room (a harbour view twin room) a lot. It was spacious, with luxurious furnishings & fittings, naturally textured fabrics, plush carpets, designer lighting, plush beds and the latest technology.
- The room's floor-to-ceiling glass doors and spacious private balcony offered great views of the Sydney skyline. The more expensive rooms come with frontal views of the Opera House.
- Bathroom amenities are awesome: Le Labo shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and body lotion presented in Bergamote 22 fragrances.
- Paintings and artwork by prominent Australian artists are on display throughout the hotel and in the guestroom(s), creating an art gallery of unique artefacts.
- Wireless internet is free.
- The hotel has a small albeit spectacular outdoor rooftop, exclusively for guests staying at the hotel, from where you can gaze at the breathtaking skyline views. It counts 16 sun loungers (with umbrellas), and 3 cabanas (with 6 additional sun loungers), and features a heated pool and lovely jacuzzi. IMHO, it is one of the most spectacular rooftops in the world (http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...otel-rooftops/).
- A dedicated 24-hour personal butler service is available.
- The hotel has a nice, small 24-hour gym, as well as a small but wonderful spa.
- Service is impeccable, attentive and respectful, in line with and what you would expect from one of the world’s most luxurious hotel brands.
- There are three options for dining: Dining Room, Living Room and bar. The Dining Room Restaurant stands out and enjoys spectacular views of both the harbour and Opera House. Food is exquisite, and I would highly recommend at least one dinner here during your stay. In the morning, breakfast is served here as well (until 11 am), with a wide choice from the menu (45 AUD) or a beautifully presented buffet (35 AUD), with big glass fridge doors where you can take your fruit and cold cuts.

"CONS" & THINGS TO KNOW:
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney. Just some (minor) issues that you need to know:
- The hotel is very conveniently located for leisure travelers (who will be “wow-ed” by its stunning vistas of Sydney’s major attractions), but it is a little out-of-the-way for business travelers (unless you do not mind a 20 minute walk or short cab drive).
- The hotel enjoys the most spectacular location in Sydney and that comes with a premium price tag: room rate at the Park Hyatt Sydney is about twice the room rate of the other 5-star hotels in the city.
- Large cruise ships dock at the nearby pier during the day. While some may find this exciting to watch, others may be bothered by the fact that these cruise ships blocks a fair bit of the views towards the city.
- While still modern and fabulous, the rooms on the street side do not come with any views at all (and are less than desirable IMHO).
- The heated toilet seat in the bathroom was kind of awkward and not my thing. You can turn the heat off though.
- When you book a twin room, the room will have 2 single, rather small beds (and not queen sized beds, like is the case in the USA). Beds are very comfy nevertheless.
- On the rooftop and outside the hotel, you hear the constant shudder of the trains and trucks crossing the bridge. But that should not put you off as this is a minor inconvenience related to the stunning location.
- The rooftop has only 22 sun loungers, so this may pose a problem when the hotel’s 155 rooms are all occupied and a lot of hotel guests want to relax near the pool (although it was never a problem during our stay, and the hotel was supposed to be full).
- Bathrooms are sleek and functional, but the walk-in shower (next to the tub) has a slippery floor.
- Turn down service is a little awkward: when you are not in the room, housekeeping staff will put on all lights. I am sure this is done to produce a stunning visual effect from the outside (and perhaps lure future visitors), but is not in line with an eco-friendly policy.

Highly recommended!