FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth Layover Questions (consolidated)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:03 pm
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by catmndu
Early next month I have an overnight layover on my way to the Turks and Caicos for my birthday (cheaper fare and lodging than taking the non-stop dfw-pls flight on a Saturday). I leave on a Sunday morning at 6:30am from DFW with a plane change in CLT (yes, a mixed metal itinerary). I haven't originated at DFW since the early nineties. I'm going to have a checked bag and am trying to figure out what time to check in. Officially AA says 2 hours but that seems overly extreme.

Any suggestions on an appropriate check in time? The DFW-CLT flight is on AA metal and I will still be EXP at that point. I would do just carry on but I'll have some things in my bag that TSA won't let me carry into the cabin.

Many Thanks!
Ignore the "suggested" times and look at the minimums:

For flights originating outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:

Minimum check-in is at least 60 minutes before scheduled departure except in Buenos Aires, Dublin and Maracaibo, Venezuela. See table below for details.
Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure

Minimum Time for Checked Baggage Acceptance

For flights originating in airports outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:

Check bags at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Some locations have earlier check-in cutoff times. Please see the table above for details.
As an EXP on a weekend morning, check in lines should be short. Getting to the terminal at 75 minutes should be plenty.

If you are overnighting at an off-airport hotel, though, make sure to allow enough time for their shuttle or a cab.