FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:11 am
LAref2014

Programs: UA, DL, USAir, AA, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Happy
It depends on one's locale.

Sunnies in my Wally World are hardcoded debit card or cash only at the POS. It also could only be bought one at a time.

There is no hassle at Simon's - all smile and laughter in and out in 10 min with split payments in however customer prefers. Do need to fill out form each time but daily amount allowed is intact. They are far more suspicious to those who dont want to fill out forms and keep buying sub 3K at this location. Those who do, after a few times, become "good people" on their internal records per the CSR.
Simon's are definitely a YMMV situation, as has been said many times on this forum. I originally drove about 50 miles to nearest Simon and purchased 5-500 VGCs for minimum spend. Wife purchased same amount a little bit later that day on different card. A few weeks later, when I went back, I asked what the max purchase was and was told $10K a day, but over $3K needed paperwork. I said give me $3k worth. She did everything and then said with the fees, the order came to over $3k and I had to fill out paperwork. I said sure and proceeded to fill it out. Nothing out of the ordinary except a space for "intended use of the cards (gift, budgeting tool, online shopping, etc)". I put down budgeting tool. I asked for a copy of the form so that I could have it filled out for future purchases and she complied. A few weeks later we found ourselves in Houston outlet mall where $2.5K purchase triggered the paperwork drill and a call to the cc bank to ensure the card was okay. Needless to say, I've been back to my closest mall to purchase more. Maybe a lot more MSers or stolen cc in Houston triggers that response.