FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - In the new 737s, I find the F seats miserable.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:00 am
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
I'm not sure which aircraft have them, but I hate the F seats with the adjustable headrests. I'm 5' 10" and the head rest is very uncomfortable in the DOWN position required during take-off and landing.
The worst head rests are the PMUA 757 F seats; those headrests make my back ache when in the down position. OTOH, those F seats are overall far more comfortable than the new 737 F seats (or the older PMCO ones), despite their age.

I had a redeye on one of the 737s with new F seats a week or two ago and was miserable. Limited recline, poor cushioning... ugh.

Originally Posted by gaobest
How does Y or E+ compare to those F seats?
The newer Y seats are horrid. They're like prison benches. My rear gets numb from sitting in them for more than 30 minutes.

Originally Posted by luckypierre
Crash survivability. FAA mandates that a seat pass dynamic G force deceleration and that includes a load path for the head
Seems odd though that crash survivability would be better without something to cushion your head. I'd have thought that tall people would be at significant risk for traumatic neck injuries on typical airline seats where their heads extend above the seat backs.