FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time for AC to consider A380's, at least for some lucrative routes?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:57 pm
TravellingBeard

Programs: Aeroplan
Time for AC to consider A380's, at least for some lucrative routes?

I know the answer from AC is probably along the lines of "We currently have no plans to...", so this is more of a thought experiment/feasibility study type question?

Case in point: there are 4 flights per day direct YYZ-LHR. 2 763's, 1 77W, and 1 788. This is a grand total for the day of 517 Y, 21 PY, and 87 J

For comparison, an AF A380 has 9 F, 24 J, 38 PY, and 389 Y while LH A380 has 8 F, 98 J, 420 Y.

What is preventing AC from becoming the first North American airline from getting an A380? Granted that people travelling to London may not even fly direct, and thus perhaps even more passengers can justify the Flying Whale, I can't see what is preventing AC from ordering A380's for for these high load factor routes. They could fly it early enough from Toronto to arrive early in the morning in London for connections, and a later flight with another type of plane can leave later on in the day.

Besides terminal infrastructure, in both Pearson and Heathrow (and other airport pairings AC can consider), I'm not sure if I'm missing something here.

Cheers.