FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:22 am
Duffman

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
In the same boat as you guys. I got this for the Mrs and it's been painful since day 1. I went through 6 months on my WF and that was pretty smooth. Did have a few fraud alerts in the beginning but was smooth sailing after that.

I definitely agree about only sticking with large transactions and not mixing up stores. Trouble is with CVS not doing 5k anymore it's getting to be a lot of hassle. I'm going to go over my mins this month with al these calls to WF!

The customer service guys are super nice but can't really help much - the fraud dept doesn't really give a rats-behind on whether you can use your card or not.

My strategy is going to be to let this card just marinate for a bit. It's a brand new acc and I am just going to try and take it slow for now. If anyone has other ideas, I am all ears.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by ChurnChop
On the heels of your troubles with Target and WF, I'll chime in too. I've been able to do about $4k at markets with the usual fraud calls. They've always said sorry for the inconvenience, we'll unlock your account and this won't happen again! LOL. So I do $1000 at Albertson's and for the first time it goes through without a decline first! Next day I get multiple calls from fraud both to my work # and my cell. I call them, they confirm I made the charges, "sorry sir, this won't happen again..blah, blah, blah". I asked why they are calling when they already authorized the charges. They were never declined. They didn't have an answer.

I'm able to make few small normal spend charges at markets and the gas station over the next couple days. Then I do a massive $14 charge at a taco restaurant today and it's declined.

No call from fraud. Nothing. So I call them an hour ago. "Why the decline on such a small charge?". She says "I don't know. It shouldn't have but there are fraud flags all over your account..". Wonderful. Thanks for sharing. She says "..your account is new so it hasn't learned your patterns yet." I'm thinking maybe the small charges and the large charges are confusing the system. She did say, and this is true, many card thieves will start with small charges and work there way up. Opposite here though.

She says...drumroll..."sorry, this shouldn't happen again. I've noted your account and will forward your info to our "leadership team" so they can look into why you are getting these many fraud alerts. Huh?! What! Leadership?? No. No. No. (I didn't actually say that, but you know what I was thinking)

Leadership sounds like management to me and that sounds..well, like bad.

Anyway, supposedly the fraud alert is off for now. I'm hitting Albertson's again after work in a few hours and see if I can pull another $1,000. If not, I'll be expecting a call from one of their "leaders" on that so called "team".