FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oman roadtrip, empty beaches, desert drive, mountain drive (with GPX maps)
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:17 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by christravelblog
You do not need to in Oman. WIth normal usual (western) clothes you are FINE. no problem!!
BUT, if you go to small towns, talk to the old people, go off radar.....it's better to use it. then they come to you for small talk.

Honestly, I've been pretty active visiting some far flung spots in Dhofar as well as the Muscat/Nizwa circuit. Usually in jeans (), I've met with courtesy, interest and some great kindness.

Who knows - I might have missed out on a lot; but I'm not entirely convinced...

I think to make the claim stick, we need to do a normalised survey of the integration and satisfaction of tourists both in and out of mufti. Now we only need someone to fund the study

Seriously, I'm not having a go at you - I'm pleased you enjoyed Oman, and I'm perfectly at ease with however you chose to dress. My concern is that your advice might persuade people to go to some cost (and potential embarrassment) in dressing up. I'm sure you were able to replicate the appropriate wear, but after seeing how tourists ape local dress in the tourism hot-spots of Egypt, I think their good intention in Oman might be interpreted as parody and condescension