FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oman roadtrip, empty beaches, desert drive, mountain drive (with GPX maps)
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:39 am
christravelblog

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I agree 100% about Oman's charms - and your advice is spot-on. Except for the Lawrence of Arabia idea of wearing "arab" gear.

What on earth is that all about? Did you feel hostility, or were you somehow less well treated when you were wearing your more usual clothes? Certainly a more conservative, cover-up approach to wardrobe is sensible, but adopting alien garb seems extreme, just a little OTT.

I'm all for folk wearing whatever compromise is required between comfort and respect, but i'd hate them to feel they are required to get rigged out in special clothes to get the most out of visiting Oman.
You do not need to in Oman. WIth normal usual (western) clothes you are FINE. no problem!!
BUT, if you go to small towns, talk to the old people, go off radar.....it's better to use it. then they come to you for small talk.

it has NOTHING to do with hostility. also not about treatening.

just if you want to go really to the people..........