FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving from XX-US CITY to YY-Foreign City - Should I Stick w/ UA & Mileage Plus
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:03 am
Tareyton98
Formerly known as James Flannery

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I would stick with United. I live in Singapore and Singapore Airlines is partners with United. If you do any traveling in the region for buisness Singapore Airlines probably has a direct flight there from Changi. I fly direct on Singapore to Bangkok, Manila, Cambodia, India, Burma, Hanoi.... the list goes on and on they have direct flights to ever major city between the Middle East and Tokyo. If you do any traveling to Oceania like Marshal Islands, Guam, Palau, United is literally the only airline that flys to most of those places. As a United Gold you will get access to Krisflyer lounges and Royal silk lounges (thai) which in my opinion are the best lounges in the region. Your only convenient options back to the US are either United or Delta usually via Tokyo or Singapore via London. Thai is also a United partner and has a great product. Vietnam Airlines is Sky Team but their product isn't that great and you would be connecting for regional trips thru ho chi min. Malyasian is One World but they are a pain because all regional trips will connect thru Kuala Lumpur. The only thing about Singapore Airlines is their regional partner Silk is not part of Star Alliance so if you are on Silk metal even if it is a code share Singapore flight and you booked the Singapore Airlines flight and not the Silk you can't get Star Alliance miles or use the lounge. You could just go all in and Use the Krisflyer program but that would depend how long you expect to be in Singapore. If you will return to the US in 2-3 years you probably won't really be able to use your Krisflyer miles. You don't get fare and status bonus miles flying on Singapore with United but you do on ANA which code shares a lot of flights back to the US with United on brand new 787s.

Also United has direct flights from Tokyo to IAH. You can also fly United to EWR close to NYC direct from Hong Kong and Tokyo. Service to IAH is only on 777 and 787 which is a plus because United 747s are GARBAGE. Service to EWR is only 777.

You will love Singapore. Great place to live! 3 trips back to US a year and minimal regional travel you will keep your United 1K. Or with United card and change your address to Singapore on your account and I think you avoid the new PQM that kicks in in March. My first year here because of my Mileage Plus Card I made gold with United just on regional travel on Singapore Airlines.

I stuck with United and also have a krisflyer account that I use when I am stuck on Silk and can't book an actual Singapore Airlines flight. I bank those miles hoping to one day have enough for an upgrade. In 2 years have flown 175,000 miles all on Star Alliance. Only 3000 on silk.

Last edited by Tareyton98; Nov 18, 2014 at 5:18 am