FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Looking at first MR before EOY, help appreciated!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:21 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Off the top of my head, this plan seems like it might be overkill in terms of time, money and miles. But I don't know the DL program well enough to be sure. You might check the Mileage Run Deals forum to see if anything better is out there re DL, and the Mileage Run Discussion forum to see if folks in similar positions to you have posed questions and gotten answers with advice.
The big difference with the DL program is rollover. This necessitates different strategies. It's not just a matter to finding the cheapest way to attain status but rather the best in terms of cost and total status miles, including those that will be rolled over.

Originally Posted by davey82
Thanks for your reply! I was thinking the same. The time issue is a big one and I'm definitely paying more than I'd like. That said, with the double medallion miles out of Seattle for this year, this is a way to collect a bunch for rollover. Of course I don't know how the new program will effect my standing for next year...

I did buy the ticket, but I'm looking for some easier domestic jaunts before my 24 hours to cancel is up.
You have a great opportunity (assuming that you were eligible for the promo and registered) to earn lost of extra miles from SEA. This is unavailable to DL people in other locations. I would take advantage of it while it is available to build a foundation for the next year.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
You're welcome, and welcome to FT!

Well, if you get some rollover miles out of it, I'd imagine that has a value in and of itself...but again, I'm not really familiar with the DL program.

To answer another question, you don't need a visa for Singapore. Though I've been there a number of times, I can't recall if these is even an arrival form to fill out.

Regardless, I suppose it's possible you'd need to be able to say the name and address of the hotel you'd be staying at. If your trip is so short that there would be a same-day turnaround, I don't think there would be a problem if you didn't have a hotel to name. But you might pose this question re what to say in Singapore in the Asia forum under the Destinations heading above.
At SIN, the aircraft is on the ground for about five hours, depending a bit on the time of the year. The OP could take a hotel downtown for a few hours and use taxis in both directions, but this would be a waste as there's little to see at that hour. OP could also pass a few hours at a late night bar or nightclub. There's a Crowne Plaza land side at SIN, but it tends to be expensive, again for just a few hours. A cheaper option is to take an airside transit hotel for a few hours (IIRC the minimum is six hours for about $70). OP could also just have fun in the terminals, nap in the free movie theater, or pay to use a contract lounge.

With no checked bags, one isn't normally required to go land side through customs and immigration as departing and arriving passengers are mixed at SIN. Boarding passes can be obtained from the right contract transfer desk and security is done at the gate for DL flights. However, once one does go landside at SIN, you cannot return to airside until the DL check in counters open at about 3:45 am, including to go to the transit hotels.

When the DL flight arrives, in principle you could rush to catch a taxi to one of the late night food courts (hawker centers) such as Newton Circus or perhaps one close to the water near the airport. There's one at the airport (land side) that's mostly used by airport workers, but I think it closes relatively early.

Originally Posted by FTRox87
I think you might be missing the point of a MR... Gold or even Plat status is def not worth spending $1200-1500 for.

the redeemable miles you're getting for a trip to nowhere and back at 4c/mile aint worth it for a horrible program like DL (with abysmal redemption values,) or even the best programs out there. cause there are much cheaper ways to earn miles, incld buying the miles outright from the airline for cheaper.

then again perhaps if you explain why its worth it to you, maybe you can justify it (to yourself) to do a MR like this.
With rollover, OP is getting status this year (for next year's program) and a good start on status for the following year. As a GM, redeemable miles are earned at 200% (assuming that there isn't a SEA promo for RDMs as well as MQMs), which even at one cent per mile (essentially guaranteed by pay with miles) are worth about $350, or $750 at two cents per mile which isn't unreasonable on DL if one is flexible.

Originally Posted by davey82
I'm pretty sure I get it, but if you have any useful tips or want to share why you do a MR, I'll take those given this is the info desk.

FYI, Delta has sold MQMs in the past to the tune of 10+ CPM. This trip, if I do it, would be 4.6 CPMQM or 3.2 CPM. Not the only compelling reason, but not bad!
Last year the prices for MQMs were very high. Even the previous year, the price was about $995 for 10,000 MQMs with no RDMs included.

Before doing a MR, the OP needs to check that MQD requirements have been or will be satisfied.