FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tricks to become "targeted" by AMEX
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:40 pm
Flyertall

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
What was the offer? In my case they said the offer had "expired" but they could offer something else... and it was the same thing!

The offer was 15K MQM, 45K RDM, and 50% off AF. I received this offer three times this year in writing (by US Mail), and also online via the website where you enter in your DL FF number and the offer appears. I finally decide to go ahead and do it, but just a day later it was sorry Charlie.

Thinking about it, I supposed the difference is that I asked for the offer they gave me the previous day a few minutes AFTER I had signed up and was approved for a higher level card without nearly as enticing of an offer. I applied online, having no idea that I would be approved and issued a card within mere seconds. I simply had no experience whatsover with the process.

It appears that the folks who report receiving an AmEx incentive merely by asking for it, all seem to have done so prior to signing up... not a few minutes afterward, while bewildered in a "what just happened?" self debriefing.

Frankly, I was confused about the whole process, and couldn't keep all the different types of miles bonuses and cards straight, so I kept using the comparison tool online. I also had no idea that the incentives differed so dramatically between what was sent to me and what was viewable in their online card comparison page.

I remain quite bitter about it actually. I take responsibility for the error, but I don't have any love for American Express's marketing. Funny how the CEO of American Express waxes on philosophically in front of the graduate classes of the nation's leading business schools about the importance of customers having an "emotional" connection with AmEx. I'm fairly certain he wasn't referring to the emotions I have now.