FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ELAL FF Program Update...
View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:58 am
EL AL Rep.
Company Representative - El Al Airlines

Originally Posted by gordo6
This option was part of flycard from the day it was launched and should not be considered a part of these changes, as they only apply 6 month afterwars and were announced afterwards. BTW, 20% of the "extra" points earned via the CC can be converted to base point. Meaning - 1 base point = 900 NIS (for flycard premium). And even as an owner of flycard plus a J flight to NYC will earn 216 base points (which, going by what you say is an an increase of 8%, however this 20% bonus also applies before the other changes and as such should not be considered a part of them despite what LY says) despite an increase of 33% in reward prices (3000 vs 4000). Overall this is an increase of 23.4% (=(4000/216)/(3000/200)).

So yes, status will be easier for me, but overall this is not an enhancement, but rather a disappointment, and I'll definitely reconsider my future with LY. It's a shame, as up until now I always thought that LY had a good value for rewards.
By the way, I think you misinterpreted the benfit of: "20% of the "extra" points earned via the CC can be converted to base point" :

As a FLY CARD Premium holder, up to 20% of the points you get for your purchases are being automatically considered a Basic Points.

For Example: if you are A GL member and you accumulated 1500 points for your purchases (CC points) , 300 of these points will be posted as Basic points and will be considered for upgrade to the next tier or for retaining your status.

These points would also be considered for Last Minute Upgrades.

If you evaluate all the benefits that are being given to FLY CARD holders (money wise) you would come to a conclusion that it would be easier to get/retain your premium status, use more points, enjoy special bonus fare, more options to use your points (both with partners and also if you purchase regular tickets on the where you can pay part of your ticket , significant part, with points!.

If you take the FLY CARD Premium you fet more benefits such as priority in Last minute Upgrades :

For Example: if you are a GL member and you are flying with another GL member who bought the same fare ticket , as a FLY CARD Premium holder you get priority over your friend even if he had accumulated more Basic points than you did.

I warmly suggest you will read the list of benefits of FLY CARD to understand their implications over your status and benefits. It really pays to be a FLY CARD holder.