FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:29 am
Michael82

Originally Posted by kamel123
Thank you very much for this comparison!

Two questions:

1) How do the three resorts compare in terms of snorkeling opportunities right from the beach? You mentioned the house reef at Velaa. I understand Reethi Rah is man-made and not great in terms of snorkeling, but what about Cheval Blanc?

2) You mentioned combining Velaa and Cheval Blanc on your next trip and transferring directly between the two via boat. How easy is it to organize this? I have heard that transfers between resorts are typically done via Male, and people recommend against it because it easily leads to losing an entire day if you take into account wait times.

Agree about the comment on gourmet food, by the way. To each their own, of course, but I wouldn't be really up to a formal dining experience at a remote resort either.
Hi,

1) Cheval and Reethi Rah both dont have a "house Reef" - if you want to see something at either - take a boat. Vela does, so you can actually snorkel right from your villa and see quite large amounts of Fish. They also have Manta Ray Feeding every evening at 6:30 at one of their beaches.

2) Yes, typically via Male which is ridiculous (and expensive - Return flight to Velaa is 850 USD per person). Ive also done a direct Seaplane transfer once between W and Huvafen Fushi but it was ridiculously expensive (chartered the whole plane). Since Velaa and Cheval Blanc are so close to each other you can just rent one of their boats for the transfer - so arrange direct with either Hotel. Its a 20 Min Boat Ride. Shouldnt cost more than 300 USD.