FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ski DO 2015: Whistler, Feb 20th-22nd
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:40 am
Dr Jabadski

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Ski DO 2015: Whistler, Feb 20th-22nd
I’m interested although timing might not work and being Whistler I’d probably make it a VERY long weekend (like Wednesday through Tuesday).

(Note: My apologies for my ranting and raving, skiing “out West” compared to skiing the NE hits a button for me. AND, the thread title does include “Whistler”^!!!)

Originally Posted by timid_trnchcoat
… I am a beginner level skier and have never skied outside of NH/MA/VT. Should I have any reservations about doing this? Thanks all!
NO. NO. NO!!! Absolutely not. In fact, once you ski west of the Mississippi, you may never again go back to NH/MA/VT. It’s a completely different experience and well worth the added expense of a plane ticket (especially for a FlyerTalk-er) and an extra day or 2 of traveling. Only possible reservation is being a group ski trip, potentially a small group, you may not find others who ski the same terrain and pace that you do.

I’ve been skiing for over 50 years, grew up in NY, skied Vermont and NY (mostly Mt Snow, Stratton, Hunter) from ages 6 through 36, had the Mt Snow trail map memorized, simply from repetition, during my teens. Until college, every family Xmas vacation and Washington’s Birthday (that IS what it was called before “Presidents’ Day”) vacation was a week of skiing at Mt Snow. Skied Hunter on High School Saturday day trips; wake at 0500, walk to high school with skis and boots, 2-3 hr bus ride each way (those 14 hour days were well worth it for a day of skiing without my parents). My folks bought a condo at Stratton while I was in college (my little sister always did get the best presents) but I still managed to get there briefly once or twice a year. Skiing frequency dropped off significantly during medical school, military active duty and residency.

Started skiing again about 20 year ago with a trip to Colorado. Did an annual trip out west for about 10 years, then discovered airline FF programs and status and realized since I like skiing and FF miles I should do 3 or 4 trips out West each ski season. I haven’t skied NY or Vermont again since.

A typical western ski resort is 5 to 10 times larger than a typical NE ski resort, gets 5 times as much snow and other than holidays has 5 times smaller crowds. Packed powder really does exist west of the Mississippi. It starts as light fluffy snow, rather than heavy wet snow. The weather and higher elevations of Western ski areas eliminate the thawing and freezing cycles of the NE so powder stays powder, even as it gets packed. In the NE, if they ever do get powder, it quickly thaws and freezes and then becomes ice, which gets ground up by groomers and is called “frozen granular”. If they don’t get new snow out West, they groom the packed powder which is much nicer to ski than frozen granular. Man-made snow (read tiny ice particles), if it’s necessary at all, merely enhances things out West whereas in the NE it’s the lifeblood of a typical resort.

“A bad day of skiing out west is better than a good day in the NE.” What they call “good conditions” out West would be called “excellent” in the NE. People who learn to ski out west don’t need to learn to ski on ice and don’t need to learn how to “hold an edge”, skills which are innate to NE skiers. I don’t think I’ve had my ski edges sharpened for 20 years, for NE skiing I’d do it every other day.

ESPECIALLY as a beginner skier, skiing out West is exponentially more enjoyable than skiing in the NE, particularly on a weekend (less crowded). Almost every western ski resort, Whistler included, has lots of novice ski terrain, MUCH more than you would encounter anyplace in the NE. Don’t worry about not being able to ski “deep powder”, they groom very well, especially the novice areas, when necessary. Think of a typical NH/MA/VT ski resort. Now think of an area the same size, with tons more snow of better quality and ALL novice terrain, which isn’t crowded at all since many people are skiing more advanced terrain since with better conditions most folks can ski terrain a level up from what they usually ski, and then you’ll have a basic idea of skiing out West.

Other than being a PITA to get to, Whistler is one of my absolute favorites. Massive ski area, terrific easily navigated base village, wonderful (low) elevation (no mountain sickness or altitude related headache or shortness of breath for us flatlanders) and usually excellent ski conditions. Don’t worry if it’s raining in the village when you arrive, the rain turns to powder half way up the mountain where the ski schools and beginner ski areas are located. Most people ski above top of the gondolas all day, some ride the gondolas down at the end of the day to avoid skiing the slush which sometimes develops near the base.

My only (relatively minor) gripe with Whistler is the extra time and logistics of getting there. Vancouver is an hour or 2 further west than the Rockies and few airlines have nonstop flights from the NE (which is arguably better for FF purposes) but in this case makes for very long travel days. Vancouver airport is south of the city and the lack of a highway through or around the city makes for a longer drive to Whistler. Even with the road improvements for the 2010 Olympics, count on a 2.5 hr drive to/from Whistler which requires a very early departure from Whistler the day you fly back East. Consider driving to Vancouver after skiing followed by a redeye flight or a hotel in Vancouver for a night prior to flying home. I’ll sometimes fly to Denver or Salt Lake City for 3 days of skiing, I’d be hesitant to do that with Whistler.

While I would not describe Whistler as a perfect place for beginners, …
With all due respect, I would absolutely describe Whistler as a perfect place for beginners … or intermediates or experts!!!

… "wow, what have I been missing!?"
Yes, exactly! The only problem with a few days skiing Whistler is that you’ll never want to go to NH/MA/VT again!