FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2015 Austin Mega DO [sponsored by Milepoint]:: February 26 - March 1
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:29 pm
paranoiatx

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So is this now basically the StarMegaDo but on ground?
Not even close.

The Austin MegaDOs have always been about celebrating food and drink in the Heart of Texas. Not counting the CYOA evenings, that's still 6 of 7 events focused on precisely that. However, we also know that there are plenty of avgeeks among this crowd, so when the opportunity came up to include an airport event, especially at an airport that has never really done one before, we jumped on it. Other than that, we're doing the same thing we do every year: eat, drink and have a lot of fun.

I'm frankly not quite sure where you draw the parallel. We certainly don't have a charter flight. Are you saying that any DO involving an airport or airline event is a StarMegaDo? If so, how would you classify the plethora of FFG events, almost all of which involve a UA airport event? Or maybe some of the London DOs (LCY/VS), Dubai DOs (DXB/EK) or the last SINDo (SIN/SQ)?

Maybe you just don't like our sponsor because of their affiliation with the other MegaDOs? Well, then let me assure you that Milepoint has no involvement with the planning or content of any event. Their support comes with no strings attached and is an extension of the gracious support Randy has given us every year since the very first Austin MegaDO. That financial backing has done nothing else than keep the costs down for attendees, which we think makes it easier for a more diverse group of people to attend. In 2014, that allowed us to have an exclusive event at Franklin BBQ. That was pretty popular. :-: (You don't want to know what that would have cost otherwise.) In years before that, the funding went towards transportation. (Do you know what a full-sized bus rental costs?) So nothing has really changed here, other than a name.

Maybe it's just the MegaDO in the name? We've also done that since Day 1 in 2009.

I'd like to invite you to please elaborate on your assertion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sense a negative connotation and find that unwarranted.

Last edited by paranoiatx; Nov 10, 2014 at 5:37 pm