FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Emirates a financial scam?
View Single Post
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:34 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iahphx
You obviously don't know much about airline economics. The USA airlines could afford to buy any airplane they'd want to. They don't buy A380s because they believe (correctly, I think) that having to sell 600+ seats on an aircraft would depress the average yield for these tickets. There just aren't that many places in the world where there's strong demand to fly 600 people at the same time. You generally increase yield by offering the most convenient flight times for biz travelers. That's why, for example, AA flies a dozen times a day between LAX and JFK on relatively small aircraft.
I think that the people running Emirates do know just a tad about how to run an airline. They have been running a profitable airline for 25 consecutive years - unlike US carriers.

US airlines will do what they think is best for them; that doesn't mean that anything else is wrong

Taking, for example, AA - compare the number ond frequency of its international routes vs those of Emirates. I posit that there are a lot more international destinations serviced by Emirates than by most US carriers