FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancellation Guidelines Update
View Single Post
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:14 am
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
We’re making this change so that we can provide you with a more consistent booking process and make more rooms available for when you need last minute travel accommodations.
It would be more credible to say you're making this change to improve revenue capture, especially from arriving travelers with unforeseen travel difficulties who will now forfeit funds. This change is 90% to the property's advantage, isn't it?

Originally Posted by dave1013
With this new policy, we are essentially being penalized for conditions that are not within our control.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Nice effort at spin, but fail. It's not traveler-friendly... I have found Hilton properties very reasonable when stay plans get upended due to flight problems. If that generosity goes away by corporate edict, too, my stay count will drop precipitously.
Agreed. I hope Hilton asks itself what aspects of the Hilton experience separate it from Priceline. If I can't cancel a $250 room early on check-in day because my flying plans blew up, why not book a room of similar quality via Priceline at $100? I'm risking much less money.

As for the "nice effort at spin" point... most of us are by now weathered observers of loyalty programs and travel/hospitality provider policies gutted, diluted, 86'd, etc. with bland (if borderline fraudulent) assurances that these "enhancements" are "to better serve our customers." Today's news is perilously close to that sort of doublespeak. As a number of HHonors members have said, good initial intentions aside, a rep who traffics in see-through spin is going to create net negative energy here.