FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Obese New Flyer With Questions
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:21 am
HighSierra

Originally Posted by AAL
My travel partner is a person of size, and I strongly recommend a first class seat. (I'm short and feel cramped in coach, so I can't imagine how it feels for a larger person). Personally, I think that bulkhead rows are easier to get in and out of during flight. Even in first class it can be hard to get up when the person in front has reclined.

FA's are usually very tactful about bringing the seat belt extender. We just ask for it when they offer to hang coats or bring a beverage.

I find that it's most helpful to be well-organized before getting to the security checkpoint. Have your pockets empty, pack your liquids in your checked bag, wear slip-on shoes, etc.

Good luck!
Yeah I've read about asking before getting to your seat, which is my plan. I'm always good about being prepared and ready so that shouldn't be much of an issue. Guess just feeling embarrassed asking for an extender is the biggest thing.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
HighSierra, welcome to FT. Hopefully you'll stick around and let us know how things go for you. If you do a bit of digging around here, you'll find plenty of thread devoted to issue of flying as, or with a stranger who is, a large/overweight/obese/various other words person. Some of these unfortunately get quite nasty. Ignore those.

You've had some good advice here. Seat belts have extenders (just ask), first class seats are certainly more comfortable, with greater width and pitch, alcohol is going to be free on AA, and you will have access to various priority lines (not that these are always faster). You won't have access to a lounge on the basis of a first class ticket alone.

As far as fear of flying goes, you may wish to take a course offered by several of the major airlines. These are multi-session classes, ending with a 'test' flight. I know it sounds silly, but the wife of a friend, who was paranoid about flying, swears it was the best thing she ever did. I flew with her once, from London to New York, to meet up with her husband, and it was insane. She started sweating and shaking as we went into the airport, her legs went limp as we walked to the gate, she had to go to the toilet even before we got on the plane. Her doctor had given her some type of drugs which sort of worked, but on board she just sweated more and her face was white. She gripped the armrests and my hands so hard that I had marks there for over a week. She just kept saying 'I'm so f***ing scared of this'. Every little bump sent her into shrieks. It was an awful flight and I was glad went I deposited her with her husband. A few months later she took this course, and it really did the trick, convincing her that her fears really were unfounded, and that flying can be fun. She now travels regularly and it's no big deal.
I definitely will stick around unless for some reason I end up dying from a panic attack lol, well, probably not so funny, but you know what I mean.

Okay, the lounge isn't important, but the fast I can get through with less thinking, the better, at least in my opinion.

Originally Posted by fritzzz25
Maybe this will help you out

http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/
Thanks I'll take a look right now.

Does anyone have an idea how long the extenders are? I know I read that American Airlines seatbelt are 45", but the extender is "unknown." Does anyone know off the top of their head by chance?

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Nov 21, 2014 at 5:19 pm Reason: Merge several consecutive posts - please use multiquote button