FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Obese New Flyer With Questions
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:19 pm
HighSierra

Obese New Flyer With Questions

First off, let me start off by saying I hope I posted this in the correction section. Nothing worse than being new and starting a thread in the wrong area

I have multiple questions, so my assumption is this is in fact the correct place to go, but if not, I apologize in advanced.

I'll get right to the chase to say the least. I am an obese person who literally has talked their way out of flying my entire life to just not have to deal with issues such as fitting in seats, seatbelts clicking, not spilling over onto someone else, etc.

With that aside, I also have an EXTREME fear of flying. It ranges from everything to do with terrorism, someone just snapping, the plane falling apart in the sky, motors failing and falling to your death, pilot having a heart attack, crashing while landing, etc, etc, etc.

I know everyone says oh, you'll be fine, etc, but the truth is I've never been scared of something so much in my life.

Last year I moved and while it would have only cost about $800 to fly, I chose to take the train, which ran me about $2K, simply due to my fear of being 'too fat to fly' and the crashing.

With that said, I am now in a position where I don't have the money to do a round trip on a train for Christmas ($5K), and I'm stuck with either telling my family I can't come home (which kills me), or sitting on a plane and flying home (also killer to me).

I decided to upgrade to first class just to make the flight easier on other passengers, but am still somewhat worried, though not as nearly bad, as to whether I'll fit in my seat or not.

I'm 6'2, 330lbs, my waist is roughly 52". While I believe the seat will probably be tight, I think it will be much more doable than say a 17" seat with others right next to me.

Being big and fitting into tight places really is nothing new to me, so the inconvenience of that on myself isn't the issue, the issue more so is the seatbelt. I know it's hard to say whether one would or wouldn't, but off the top of the head, should I be okay? Any estimates?

It got so bad I measured the seatbelt in the car, the bottom section that is, and to click it it took 42", I believe American (which is what I'm flying) is 45"? I guess the main thing for me is where the seatbelt is located. If it comes directly off the chair I should be good (my car for instance it has to come up a little from the side to get over the chair/me).

Also. The rest really are just questions being I'm a new flyer.

I'm in first class, I will be leaving LAX, right now I leave from Terminal 4. I'm not sure how plans work, but being I had a sleeper car on the train, we were given access to a waiting room away from the main part of the airport with nicer chairs, free drinks, and things along that line. Is that the case at airports?

On the plane, are meals/drinks all free being it's first class? I plan on drinking a little bit of booze to help keep me mellow. I believe the booze is free as well, but is there a limit on how much you can drink? I'm not going to act like I'm a college party, but if I want a couple things, can I?

Somewhere I read about quicker screening and what not. Are you given that with first class? Or is that only if you buy the $85 thing and go through all those pre background checks months before flying? I forget exactly what it's called.

Otherwise, I plan on sitting in the first row, at the bulkhead (737-800). Being I'm tall, will I have more leg room, or somewhat more, compared to if I were behind another row of first class? I understand the leg room is much better, but the more the better for me.

If you made it this far, I appreciate you reading and taking the time to answer any questions you can to help me understand things better. I might also come up with some other questions if that's okay.

Thank you everyone.