FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need Help With Award Flights; Invited to the Pacquiao Fight in Macau!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:16 am
ajandraschell

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'd suggest trying to use AA miles one-way (on CX's LAX nonstops to or from HKG), and UA miles the other way (after converting some of your UR points). Not sure if any UA partners serve MFM, but there are lots of ways to get between LAX and HKG with UA miles.

Note that the aa.com website cannot display CX award availability, so a call to AA is required to book. (Before calling AA, you can log into your BAEC account at ba.com and check CX award availability there.)

Also, if you have no status with AA, you will be subject to a close-in award booking fee of $75/passenger. BAEC has no such fee, but BAEC redemptions will incur carrier surcharges which will likely be greater.

If you only use AA miles for your return flight (from HKG) and book it at least 21 days in advance, then there will be no close-in award fee for such a redemption. So maybe see if you can use UA miles for LAX to HKG (or MFM), and AA miles back from HKG.
I have a Citi Exec AA card, so I wonder if that gives me status? Also, if I have to call to book as it is not available on the website, wouldn't that be grounds for a waiver of said book fees? We are due to fly back on the 24th so that marks 21 days from today. Do you recommend doing AA still or UA is fine? I don't think I have enough AA miles for 2 for the one-way back, so I may just have to use UA anyways. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.