FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan won't let me cancel/change a flight within 24 hours...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:39 am
BostonMark

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Originally Posted by leftpinky
They say they're not subject to US laws or something. Talked to supervisor, too. Anyone help? It's an award ticket and I got stuck with nearly $600 in feul surcharges on a TAP leg (blogs said it should be 125 or so)....found a different flight without much in fuel, but no....
As a US based traveler who has redeemed many rewards I have ALWAYS been told that reward tickets are NOT included in the 24 hour return policy - it's revenue tickets only. I have tried with both US Airways and United at various times and once a reward ticket is booked it is subject to its terms and conditions and is final.

That doesn't change the fact that Aeroplan and AC suck as companies with consumer unfriendly actions, it just means that in this case I don't think it's illegal, even in the US, to have a "free" ticket go final at the moment of purchase.

P.S. It may make sense depending on your plans to just pay the redeposit fee, cancel the tickets, and book on the other plans, at least if you can get taxes and fees back (and I don't know if they do or not).