FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 pm
N1120A

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
So far, so good. No revenue-based changes either, which is excellent.

Originally Posted by ONTRandy
It looks like they're keeping the "sticker" upgrades, which I think it great.
It is really a huge reward for EXP/CP who don't book far out.

Originally Posted by gemini573
Cautiously optimistic. With the segments going up to 120, I think it's just a matter of time, the miles to re qualify will go up to 120k for EXP.
That didn't happen on United.

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Doubt it. United has been at 100k PQM / 120 PQS since their programs merged.
Yup, though its kind of weird. Segment qualifiers are usually on higher yielding tickets.

Originally Posted by Catbert10
The 120 EQS hurts the short haul flyer, which is unfortunate for myself. Being Austin based, each trip typically goes through DFW. This adds 2 EQS per trip but only 1000 EQMs. I'll still qualify but it will take longer and will be via miles and not segments. This will drive away some of the short haul flyers over to WN, I think.
You'd be surprised how much those 500 mile minimums make a difference as a miles qualifier.

Originally Posted by riastradh
Looks like US CP get SWUs next year, does that dilute the value of the SWU, or not really because AA ppl can now use them on US flights?

Also the one thing that's not definitively address is how upgrades will work moving forward. But I'm assuming that they're keeping the sticker system because US ppl are going to get some to get started, why bother acclimating everyone to the system unless it's going to stay in place.
First part - I think the second part is right. For all its foibles, US has a very nice network to Europe with an excellent seating product on the A330s. With the food product going back to AA standard, this is a good thing.

Second part - I think this has to do with a couple of things.

1) The US hard product is not as good as the AA one - particularly on retrofitted planes with PTVs and the like.

2) SHARES seems to have a problem with a sticker-based system. It took years for CO to do SWUs, and there were major problems with the CO/UA integration of upgrades.

Originally Posted by jaimelannister
"Executive Platinum members will enjoy complimentary same‑day flight changes on both airlines"

Is this new, or just strange wording? Are they talking about confirmed flight changes, or just the usual complementary standby?
Its complimentary confirmed SDCs, which was sorely needed.

Originally Posted by miffSC
Oh how I wish I could get you to comment on my blog! Sometimes I feel I am the only one waving the US Airways flag.... however, that being said:

The American sub-elites (Platinum and Gold) have never known any other system so for them, it is business as usual. US Airways had the sticker program back in the late 90's and did away with it because it felt it wasn't working for its elites. So sad to see it reinstated.

Yes, it is a major downgrade and slap in the face for US Airways flyers and no, the American flyers have no idea how we really feel about this.
I know how you feel about it, because I'm a refugee from United. Its a huge upgrade for the US CPs, because the sticker system protects upgrades for super elites (EXPs and CPs) who need to book close in. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Plat or even Gold on UA sitting in F, while I'm sitting in Y, simply because I had to book late. Same with the absence of YBM auto-upgrades. You reward loyalty instead of one-off purchases by lower tiers.

Originally Posted by anaggie
^ on the mileage bonus for J class tickets to 50%.

Most of my flights are on intl paid J -- so I should make EXP even sooner, right ??
If you qualify by miles, yes. If you qualify by points, it would be the same.

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
How hard is it to understand that the stickers ($$$) based upgrade system helps fund a better F experience.
Yep. It also rewards brand loyalty above all. There is massive value in that.

Originally Posted by cmd320
We already got screwed when we inherited your F class soft product. I fail to see why most of this is a concern for you as a CP though. Most things based upon this announcement have little to no effect on top tier at either airline. If anything you may get to experience lighter loads in F with the potential to have a row to yourself. That's one great thing about stickers.
Yep. Thankfully, they are already reversing course on the soft product problems.

Originally Posted by mgarrett96
As an AA GLD who flies STL-ORD round trip twice a month, I'm not sure what I feel about the comp. upgrades. I have no issue paying $35/sticker for my seat up front, and I haven't missed an upgrade on that route ONCE this year. I feel like my UPG percentage is gonna fall under the new rules, but all in all, this is much better than what I expected.
Actually, I think your percentage will do the same under these rules - unless you are on US metal.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
AA/US already announced MCE on the US fleet; though as of yet no planes have been retrofitted.
Pretty similar to the CONUAL merger. It took a while to get E+ on CO planes, but it happened reasonably quickly (except for some 738s) once it did happen.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
PMAA has larger/equal size F cabins in every case except the A319s.

And F cabins aren't going to go out empty because people don't mind spending $60-$150 to upgrade a flight. I can't remember the last time I saw an empty F seat. Heck, once I didn't even clear on LAX-LAS.
I see empty F seats from time to time on AA. A few times on LAX-LAS, once on LAX-YYZ, a few other times.

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
All I can say is: ^^^^^^^^^^^^

THANK YOU, Suzanne, Doug, and the entire team at AA. I will remain a loyal AA flyer, and will make the push to qualify for EXP based on this announcement.
Agreed. This is excellent. I also like the willingness of the former US, current AA managers to reverse course on changes that their best customers clearly don't like.

Originally Posted by superweak
Does this "influx" actually exist? Are there a huge number of AA elites who were chomping at the bit to finally travel over the US hubs (which we are of course informed are inferior to those of AA in every way)? Every AA elite on US metal is an AA elite *not on AA metal* and vice versa, so AA people should be happy their upgrade chances are improving...

Unless the merger is hugely increasing the number of flights people are taking on AA+US, or the number of flights is reduced, the US network is not going to be overwhelmed by AA elites, since there's probably an equivalent number of US travelers taking an AA routing. (OK, there are probably exceptions like the Shuttle.)
I'll say that the UA/CO merger saw a huge jump in CO flyers going to/through UA hubs.