FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:42 pm
dd1612

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus
i have a 17 hr overnight layover in hongkong on a united one way award economy ticket. the ticket is from kolkotta to chicago.
will i need to recheck my luggage in hong kong?
it is one continuous ticket, i.e not pieced together one ways...
thx
cb
It does not matter if it is one ticket or multiple tickets put together.
If you can convince the check agent at your first departure airport to check your bag/s through to their final destination, that is all that matters.
We have done this many times BOM-SIN-USA or vice versa.
Our layover at SIN used to < 24 hours about 23 hours on the outbound and < 18 hours on the return.

You have a 17 hr overnight layover in HKG/ hongkong on a united one way award economy ticket. the ticket is from CCU/kolkotta to ORD/ chicago.
Yes, you can request the check in agent at CCU to check your bags through to ORD. The layover at HKG is 17 hours so it is as per the rule of the airlines.

HKG is a safe airport, so having bag/s checked through to ORD it will go into a special holding area that is policed and controlled.

So, you will not need to claim your baggage at HKG and then have to recheck it at HKG to ORD.

Also remember the 2 piece checked bag, with each bag weighing < 50 lbs or 23 kgs rule for travel from India to the USA.
If you travel only to HKG you will get free check in baggage of upto 20 kgs only.

Regarding Hotel at HKG you will have to exit the airport and can stay at a cheap/ inexpensive hotel in the tsim sha tsui ((sp?) area. Buy a return ticket from HKG airport to tsim sha tsui (sp?). I can recommend the Salisbury Road YMCA for a stay at Hong Kong. Reasonably priced, superb breakfast, and safe!

Last edited by dd1612; Oct 25, 2014 at 6:59 pm