FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:16 am
royng

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus

i do NOT want to deal with exiting security and then re-entering passport control etc etc (i'm a usa citizen).....
I believe in your case your luggage should go all the way to Chicago unless you specifically ask for retrieval in Hong Kong. I suggest calling Thai to see what they will/can do when you check in.

Personally I am comfortable leaving my luggage in the hand of ground handling for 17 hours or more. I did a few extended transits (almost 24 hours) in a few cities and so far nothing went terribly wrong (just one piece arrived at destination before I did).

A bit of off-topic here...but are you planning to stay airside for 17 hours overnight? Depending on your arrival and departure time, going landside for a brief tour of Hong Kong / taking rest in a hotel room may be a good idea.