FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amtrak Adirondack
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:26 pm
Hayden

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by BobH
Say what?

What about short distance trains into Chicago -- particularly if you're just going into the loop and don't need a car or can connect with Metra?

Bob H
There are any number of shorter routes where Amtrak makes sense, such as Capitol Corridor travel between the SF Bay Area and Davis/Sacramento, a number of routes out of Chicago (e.g., Chicago-Quincy, Hiawatha service to Milwaukee, Chicago to some of the university and college campuses and Springfield, etc.), some of the rides around LA (to avoid traffic), and presumably any number of local hops where the only other choice is driving. Of course, for those who are unable to drive, or who can work from the train, those routes may make even more sense.

As an example, I commute often enough between the Bay Area and Sacramento. After one night almost getting run off the road by a funnel cake truck, I decided to do even more of my travel on the train. Not that I'm against funnel cakes, but if I had a choice, that wouldn't be my preferred way to shuffle off the mortal coil.