FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:42 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Bonus Question: What was the first US airline to operate an all first class jet? What type of airplane was it?

Per jrl767: Seems to me that we were discussing this a couple months ago ... I want to say that Delta introduced their Convair 880s in an all-F configuration ~1960

Per jlemon: Well, I think United operated the Caravelle in an all first class configuration.....

jrl767 is correct! Delta was the first with its Convair 880s in 1960. United introduced its all First Class configured Caravelles in 1961. Whereas Delta eventually converted its 880s to a two-class configuration, I believe United's Caravelles remained all First Class throughout their operation with United.

BTW, I apologize for the delay in answering this latest batch of questions. I've been down in Flamingo, Florida (try finding that on a map) with neither internet or cell phone service. I'm presently inflight to Seattle and answers should come in a more timely fashion from now on... Thank you for your patience!