FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New American 777-200 retrofit Business Class (AA 772 J) trip report
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:04 pm
TokinaMaso

Programs: AA EXP
New American 777-200 retrofit Business Class (AA 772 J) trip report

This will be a relatively short report with not exhaustive list of photos (compared to other more extensive reports usually found here), but I thought that I will give it a try, because this is a brand new configuration of AA 777-200 plane and no one has posted trip report for this plane yet.

Barely after a week since the new AA 777-200 Retrofit plane started to fly the DFW-SCL-DFW route (AA945/AA940) we were booked on a flight from DFW to SCL. I specifically looked for the day of the week when they fly the new configuration, because at the moment it is just 3 times a week (Mon/Thu/Sat to the SCL (AA945) and Tue/Fri/Sun back (AA940)).

Almost up until the last moment I wasn't sure if we're going to get J seats as this was a SWU upgrade flight. However both of us cleared the day before flight with 5 free seats to choose from, all of them were rear-facing seats. We easily snagged seats together in the middle row and were good to go. For statistics I would like to say that there were 10 people on the waitlist for the upgrade on the day of the flight and only two of them cleared by the time we boarded.

I purchased the tickets just a little over one month before the day of departure, but being EXP granted me priority in the upgrade list (and also, because it was a connecting flight). But it looks like the demand for this new plane is quite high. At the checking we were told that we've got a new plane. Well technically the plane isn't new, it's only the configuration and fittings, but nevertheless we were very excited to try it.

Before getting on the plane, we hit the Admirals Club, because after the recent change in oneworld lounge access rules, it's the only choice left when flying AA. New rules doesn't allow entering third party operated lounges on behalf of BA or QF. It was quite empty in the early afternoon or 'soulless' as others have described it, but around 7pm it was already quite full.

Still quite emtpy Admirals Club lounge

The boarding started on time and as the business class passengers we were first to board. Business class is divided into two sections and you enter the plane in between those two where the galley with snacks between meal services is located.

Privacy and seat comfort

The first thing I was concerned when choosing seats is that the heads of the middle rear-facing seats are almost next to the forward-facing seats behind them. However the dividing walls are quite high and some people heads almost didn't reach the headrest, so looking at the seat photos can give you wrong impression. Seats feel as private as the ones on 777-300ER. In this photo you can see how low is the person sitting in the seat.

Headrest position

The seat felt a little bit wobbly (considering is is almost brand new), but maybe that's the design, it however adjusted easily and felt very comfortable. I would describe it as comfortable as the one on 777-300ER. For sleeping I really couldn't prefer on or another, for me both felt the same.

The seat is controllable using controls in two different locations. One is on the very side of the seat (next to your head) and switches seat between fully flat to fully seated positions. This is useful when you are sleeping and want to get up.

First control of the seat (next to your head)

The other control is more sophisticated and is a touch sensitive screen about the size of (old) iPhone. There you can easily change the position of each individual part of the seat or variate between 4 preprogrammed positions. There is also an option to memorize one position of your own and at any moment get to that position which was quite cool. The control screen turns of after being unused for a while and turns on after touching it. It is also possible to set privacy mode using this controller. You can set it to not disturb and red light instead of green will be illuminated on the side of your seat for FAs attention.

Second, more sophisticated control of the seat

Rear-facing seats

Now a little bit about flying in the rear-facing seats. This was the first time for me flying in rear-facing seat and I can tell you it's not that bad. There is a strange (unnatural) feeling during takeoff and landing, but once you are in the air, there is almost no difference. Regarding rumurs that there is more workspace for rear-facing seats and flying as a couple in the middle rear-facing seats you are closer. Both of these are true, rear-facing seats get two workspaces (albeit small) while forward-facing seat have just one (not as big as those two combined). Also you feel more close to the other person if flying as a couple in the middle row rear-facing seats. That is if you can lower the divider between you,which we couldn't… It was stuck in the up position, FAs tried to do something, but without any success. On the other hand the divider works very well, since we almost had to get up to speak to each other during the flight. So if you're flying in the near future, better don't choose row 10 middle seats, because who knows when they will be fixed. Again something I wouldn't expect for almost brand new fitting.

Here is comparison of the forward-facing seats and rear-facing seats.

Forward-facing seats

You would have to lean quite a bit forward to talk to the person next to you. As you can see the wall between J and Y+ is quite thin and there is even hole in the wall between last row and MCE.

Very similar to 777-300ER

Rear-facing seats

Workspace for rear-facing middle row seats

First workspace

Second workspace (table stowed inside)

Storage space

There is very little storage space for this configuration. The space next to the USB/power outlets is that small that even current amenity kit doesn't fit into it.

Storage space next to USB/AC outlets

Then there are two small storage compartments on both sides of the seat. One is for literature only and is quote full already.

The other is also quite small, I used it to keep the Bose headset case in it and it was full.

That's it, there is no more storage space, except for your shoes under the footrest.

Connectivity

This airplane also features AA WiFi (which I didn't use). There are also two USB and two power outlets for each seat. Not that I need that many, but maybe someone finds it useful.

IFE

The screen is very nice and bright, 15.4-inches big and touchscreen works perfectly. However for me it was quite far away from the seat, so scrolling through movies and reading the description of them was quite tiring. But once you choose something to watch, the distance was very comfortable.

Distance of the screen from the seat

IFE Screen

It is possible of course to switch to the small controller right next to your seat, but if you scroll through the IFE program on it, you also need to look and read descriptions of movies on that small screen, because none of it is showing on big screen, only after you select something to watch.

Small controller and a small light next to it with three positions - Off / 50% brightness / 100% brightness

I liked to put flight info on the small controller screen and set the brightness to lowest while watching the movie on the big screen, this way I could always easily check the flight status and time which was really nice and much more easily seeable right next to my shoulder (compared to 777-300ER).

That was the evening flight so after the meal service and one movie, I went to sleep. The sleep was very comfortable as I overslept until the breakfast time and didn't get to see/try the snacks and refreshments in between, but I guess that speaks good about the comfort of the seats Here is the one photo of the starter which included seared tuna and salad with very tasty dressing, however then I got distracted enjoying my flight so that was about it.