FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point runs | 2014 master thread
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:00 am
chris1979

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by 96blsh
Wonder if anyone can help. I have a week I can take off at the end of october and a spare €1500 I was thinking about doing a tier point run. Any one haev any good ideas, been playing around with some of the routings but cant seem to get prices that make it worth it. Based in DUB but happy to travel....
Originally Posted by hendricks
Welcome to FT 96blsh

I'm new to this TP run malarky so I'm sure the experts on the board will be able to do much better, but looking at the matrix, and considering your budget I can suggest:

- TATL in economy to PHL with US - from DUB via LHR in Y (180 TPs) is around 600 euros but seems you need to come back on Monday 3rd Nov (maybe no good for you) to get that price.
- Nest Chris1979's LGA-LGB run (you'll need a positioning flight from PHL-LGA) currently available most of that week - 1070 USD/840eur/660GBP

Total TPs would be somewhere between 800-860, and should be doable for around 1500 euros/1200 GBP - so about £1.4 per TP
welcome to FT, the BAEC forum and our little TP community here. stick around and keep contributing as CWS will tell you shortly.

you are in a pretty good starting position: based in DUB so you are ex EU without needing to position, a spare week (my issue this year is that I have 1 day holiday left to take over and above already booked stuff and I am contemplating a run for that which makes planning much more tricky) and you have some money to spend (it gets trickier when the 'request' is £300 for 300 TPs which can only be achieved in the US but tricky at lower amounts.

Haven't had a look on matrix but I would just do a search DUB to various points in the US. you might be able to get to NYC via the babybus (not that great from a TP point of view (500 return) or get to say BOS or ORD or PHL or even PHX, MIA, LAS via babybus.

I suspect SFO and LAX might be a tad above €1,500 though some of the CPH deals have been in the ballpark so you might be able to construct a DUB LCY JFK PHX LAX routing.

alternatively, if you are minded to try Y, I was contemplating doing US Y "the long way" (I was looking at LGW AMS PHL DCA LGA return for £500) and then do a LGA - LGB run for £643 for 660 TPs). that comes to ~£1,200 and earns 900. it was pointed out to me though that a CPH HEL LCY JFK BOS ORD return would do the same trick (same price, same TPs) though that fare was only available for Easter (for dates that work for me).

So, I'd suggest you dont start with US Y but have a look on matrix for DUB - US and see what comes up.

If you give us dates, someone helpful will come along and have a look on matrix for you.