FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - High-Speed Trains: NTV, the new operator
View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:00 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Perche
there are now departures from Roma Termini, which is fairly new.
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
As mentioned no need a cab from Tiburtina only cause it's Tiburtina, since it's just few metro stops further from the old town than Termini.

Simply there's no reason to pick one or other based on mere logistic, IMHO, unless you're sleeping in the very proximity of the respective stations.
BTW Italo operates also in Termini, not only in Tiburtina.
I know that Italotreno now has obtained the right to enter and depart from Termini, but it's a small win, because for many places, when they arrive, they are still having to leave you outside the city, as is the case to or from Florence to Rome, Milano to Torino, etc. Then, you have to switch and take Trenitalia or a regional the rest of the way, so why not just start with Trenitalia?

Originally Posted by KLouis
Just because it brings back fond memories from the time I lived in Rome, I stay close to Corso Trieste, i.e. really far from the centre. I would never send anybody there who wants to be near the tourist sights. Therefore, since Tiburtina and Termini are almost equidistant from my hotel, I prefer the former (when I take the train to Rome), because I arrive to my hotel about 15 minutes earlier.
Exactly. Tiburtina is far away from the city sights. From Piazza Navona or Pantheon, it is another two stops on the train. Every night that you want to do something or stay out late, you have to take a train or cab home if you stay in a hotel near Tiburtina. Unless someone forces you to, why build a train station way out there? It is because Trenitalia had secured the written rights, and forced Italotreno to have in most cases, inferior locations.

Coming to Rome and staying around Tiburtina is like coming to visit NYC and staying in Queens.

Sure, if you are staying near the Pantheon and arrive at Termini or at Tiburtina, a cab will cost a similar price. But if you stay at a hotel near the Pantheon you do not have to take a cab or the Metro again, because you can walk to everything except perhaps the vatican. If you stay in a hotel at Tiburtino you are so far away that when you want to go out you have to call the front desk and ask them to get you a cab every time. And, unless you want to walk for an hour, you'll also have to call them to get you a cab to get home.

Tiburtina is off limits. The only reason Italotren built a train station way the heck out there is because it was the only place they could. I don't want to go to the outskirts of town to take a train that costs one euro less if afterward I have to spend 15 euros each way to get back and forth to the real city in a cab, or have to take the metro.