FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on bring back a case of wine from France
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:58 am
demue

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I would say aside from the tax consideration make sure you get really good packaging as another poster recommended. That's the key. Even with fragile stickers the bags / cartons may not always be handled gently and they need to be able to survive a bit of bumping around.

If you can't get that recommended box you may want to consider other items. I actually use a bunch of re-usable wine 'diapers' to provide cushioning and soak up the content if it comes to the worst and it breaks. Other people I know use something called a wine safeguard / bottle protector. Can find at Amazon online for example.

I did have my luggage totally soaked in red wine and smelling like a drunkard after someone else's bottles had broken inside his luggage and leaked out onto other luggage. It was on OS and they did compensate me for some of the items that could not be cleaned / recovered, but it was a big pain.