FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Hotel chain embraces prostitution...
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:30 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
How? Based on what? A girl in a tight blouse and short shorts shows up at the hotel and comes up to my room. Is she a prostitute or my daughter in college? How about a woman in an evening gown?

I start chatting with a single woman sitting a couple of stools down from me at the hotel bar. Prostitute? Or, like me, lonely business traveler attending a conference? Is the hotel going to decide based on the substance of our conversation? Will it become the bartender's responsibility to eavesdrop and make that decision about who she is and why she's there?

And what about the lawsuits which start the first time the hotel wrongfully decides that a particular woman is a prostitute?

I remember getting my passport checked and details recorded at the front desk when visiting my dad on one of his business trips during one of my school holidays. There might have been a call to my school and my mum too who was on a business trip of her own in another part of the world. They were very polite and professional about it and explained that it was for my protection. ^ In retrospect, it's quite sad because they felt that an 10-yr old might have been exploited. This was of course a few decades ago and kids jetting in from all over wasn't quite as common as it is now.

More recently it's been just plain refusal to serve or I get the stink-eye during my entire stay. It's been mostly a case of plain prejudice on the part of the staff and their stubbornness when confronted. It wasn't what I was wearing because I was checking in with my team and we were all in suits.