FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: American applies for LAX-HND [2015 plan delayed]
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:16 am
FWAAA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXative
Decent for O/D, terrible for connections. With such a difference in time, my guess is NRT service will be preserved if HND rights are granted.
It's a near certainty that AA's LAX-NRT flight would end if AA were granted this request for LAX-HND. Joint venture partner JAL has LAX-NRT covered.

Originally Posted by austin_res
It's using the same flight numbers as the existing LAX-NRT flight, which could indicate LAX-HND would replace LAX-NRT, just like at JFK when JFK-HND replaced JFK-NRT. However, I don't think AA would get LAX-HND since DL already flies that route. The DOT tends to prefer using HND slots for new flights. I think AA would have a better chance of getting DFW-HND.
While I agree with your thoughts about the DOT's philosophy, LAX-TYO has substantially more O&D than DFW (or SEA or just about any other USA gateway). LAX-HND, which AA asked for in 2010, would provide inter-alliance competition, as it's currently served by Skyteam (DL) and Star (NH).

DFW simply wouldn't work, for the same reasons that JFK and DTW failed. It's nearly the same distance as JFK-HND and is only one time zone to the west. As a result, the HND curfew (cannot arrive prior to 10 pm and can depart only between midnight and 6:59 am) does not produce commercially viable departure and arrival times at DFW.

If HND is opened up to arrivals and departures from the USA at "normal" times (arrive HND late afternoon and depart 2-3 hours later), then DFW, ORD, PHL, etc. would work.

This slot either remains in DL's possession and is suspended for half the year (except for several flights to retain possession) or it's transferred to AA for LAX or to HA (which will obviously fight for it). Mid-continent or East coast hubs are a non-starter.