FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Federal Gov Rate being enforced more strongly now (Starting Oct 2014)?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:18 pm
plagwate

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by bo1953
Well, it does sound like you have to anticipate that the 'Contractor' at these and other Marriott's will be strictly enforced. For the next contract signing, take this into consideration upfront or possibly stay at a hotel other than Marriott for the rate, if that is the real issue, beyond comfort and preference.
Easier said than done. Requiring contractors to book at the government rate is often non-negotiable with government agencies, particularly at the state level. I have government clients who even insist on seeing the government rate when we submit receipts, even if we're willing to pay the difference.

Sure, we could stay someplace else where they are more lenient on policy. But why should we? I've been loyal to the Marriott brand for years and I would hope they would return that loyalty in this situation. As long as they have safeguards in place to control abuse, there should be no difference in whether I wear a government ID around my neck or a contractor's. Ultimately, the room is being payed for by the government client and the taxpayers.