FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:15 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by catarina
I've been reading the posts on the Marriott Platinum Challenges and I see that offers are slim at this time of year. I suppose they prefer to not offer the challenges at the same time at the Mega Bonus. My MegaBonus offer was the standard double points starting with second stay up to max of 25,000 bonus points.

I am currently silver with the Canadian Chase card, and I have 15 nights booked where the Marriotts are my best option and I would hate to miss out on Platinum when I'll be doing the stays anyway. One of my main reasons for choosing Marriott is the new Renaissance at the Edmonton Airport. I have at least 6 trips a year in Edmonton and love being able to stay at the airport on the way in and out.

I've heard that Courtyards are not favourites within the chain, but I've stayed at the Edmonton West Courtyard and was pleasantly surprised. I must admit I was nervous booking it because I usually stay at Westins, but that Courtyard was really nice and my room service meal was excellent. I also have a 7 night Marriott stay in Vancouver, which I can break up into 3 stays by switching to the Renaissance for one night.

Any advice when requesting the challenge?

Cat
I can't address the Fairmont vs. Marriott question, but if you think you'd get the 6 (Gold) or (9) stays by November 30 or December 31 (not sure which deadline they're using), then I'd call in now & request the challenge.

Please note, though, that it's the Road to (Gold or Plat) challenge, which means you don't get the bennies until you've hit the 6 or 9 stays. Since there isn't a huge difference between the two, you might ask for Gold so you get it in 3 less stays. That's up to you. Heck, if you're willing to hotel hop daily you could get Gold by the end of your 7 day stay in Vancouver.

What I would suggest doing is book your Edmonton & Vancouver stays before calling to request the Road challenge & nicely point out that you do have some upcoming stays, mention your top tier status with the others, how much time you'll be spending in hotels next year & you'll certainly be able to hit status, etc, that you're trying to decide whether to toss the 9 extra stays to Fairmont or Marriott for this year and if they give you the challenge then you'll stick with Marriott, etc.

Good luck!

Cheers.