FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:51 pm
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft
The problem I have is that even the CBSA web site says that you only need to update GOES:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...nnees-eng.html

" NEXUS members can access the.Global Online Enrollment System.(GOES) to update address changes and passport information that is already on file."

What does that even mean? Can I only update the passport that I already have? I asked this specific question when I was at YYZ in August when we renewed my daughter's card and they told me that they "preferred" to see the new passport.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why they can't get this information straight.
That was exactly my point - the online info that you quoted as well as the recording you get when you call in clearly states that updating GOES is all that is necessary after renewing a passport or drivers license. When in reality, that is true for the US side of things only as GOES is the American system.

CBSA officers will tell you, as well as all the anecdotal evidence from postings here and as I was told after my own inquiry at the Nexus office today, that updating GOES will absolutely not update the Canadian system. And the next time you try to use Nexus with the CBSA, you will be flagged as having an expired document and threatened with (and possibly actually will have) the revocation of your Nexus privileges for being in violation of the program rules. Crazy, I know. And the CBSA officer today agreed. But it is really happening and she sees it all the time.

And to the previous poster, you can update GOES with your new passport or d/l, (not just your existing one). I did it, but as above, it only updates the US side (GE).