FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Roadtrip between CA and Oregon? [moved from California forum]
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:40 pm
OliverB

This thread had me contemplating some other road trips between CA and OR as well; particularly driving north along 101 coastal route and then cutting east from Cannon Beach through Hood River and Columbia Gorge all the way accross to Joseph and Wallowa Lake, ending in Portland and flying home.

Ideally I'd like to kick it off around Eugene but there doesn't seem to be any easily accessible way of getting there. I could drive all the way upstate but I'm trying to be efficient since I want to focus on the Oregon part of this roadtrip. There are direct flights from SFO on United Express but since it's a regional airport, we'd be looking at $500 for a one-way fare! I suppose we could possibly do a connection through PDX on Alaska but it seems kind of silly to connect in Portland, fly back south to OTH, then drive back North up towards Cannon. The Amtrak or Coastal Starlight (I forget which rail runs up the coast) is like 12 hours and I've gotten horrible feedback from those that have taken it south down to LA. I'd rather drive in less time. Are there any other nearby airports that are serviced by SFO or Oakland that I might consider? I'd like to set off up the coast somewhere around the Siuslaw Nat'l Forest; near Yachats or thereabouts. Any suggestions? This wouldn't be for several months btw, I'm just thinking about it now...

Last edited by OliverB; Sep 25, 2014 at 1:46 pm