FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old School Amex Prepaid Card
View Single Post
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:59 pm
GetawaysRus

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BADELAYS
Is there any way to load this card now? I don't have access to VR. Based in the Northern Virginia region. I have 2 of these from good ol' days

I need to run up some spend and would appreciate any advice via PM.
I'm interested as well. I still have my AmEx PrePaid, and I like it primarily for use when traveling (especially internationally). I use it as a backup ATM card. I need to reload it one of these days.

I'm just back from a recent trip to Europe. My main bank is Chase, and I called Chase prior to the trip to notify them of travel. I have a plain vanilla Chase ATM card (not a Chase debit card). When I got to Venice and tried to withdraw money from an ATM, Chase blocked my ATM card. Fortunately I had the AmEx PrePaid with me, and that worked fine for ATM withdrawals (up to the $400 daily ATM withdrawal limit).

For anyone who uses Chase Bank, why did Chase block my ATM card? I learned after I got home that the standard limit on a Chase ATM card is only $300 withdrawal per day. (If you have a Chase debit card, the limit is $500.) You can request a higher daily withdrawal limit, but I had never done so. Since I was in Europe, and Euros go for 1.3 dollars each, it is quite easy to exceed that $300 limit on the ATM card. So Chase immediately blocked my ATM card when I tried withdrawing more than 200 Euros in one transaction.