FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Annual New England Fall Foliage Thread
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:43 am
Blumie
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
My parents, who really aren't very mobile anymore, will visit in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions for vistas at an easy-access park or the like within 60-90 minutes of Boston? Maybe some place out Route 2?
I wouldn't expect a lot of color within 60-90 minutes of Boston this early, but still there are some beautiful drives which undoubtedly will include some early signs of color.

I'd start by taking the Trapelo Road exit off of I-95 (Route 128) and heading towards Lincoln. (If coming up 95 North, take exit 28B; if coming down 95 South, take exit 28 and turn right at the end of the exit ramp.) Once you get off the highway, you'll be in Waltham for about half a mile, and then you'll cross over the Cambridge Reservoir into Lincoln, and should be able to enjoy beautiful vistas across the reservoir. (When the colors do change, this is one of the prettiest views in the area.)

Continue on Trapelo Road about another mile or so into Lincoln until you reach the stop sign. Proceed straight across the intersection, bearing ever so slightly to the left onto Sandy Pond Road. Go another half mile or so and turn left onto Baker Bridge Road. Follow this to the end and turn right on Concord Road (Route 126), which will take you directly past Walden Pond on the left. (If your parents are able enough, consider parking and walking down to the pond.)

Continue on Concord Road across Route 2 (at which point it becomes Walden St.) Follow Walden St. into the heart of historic Concord. At the end of Walden St., turn right on Main St. and then, at the next big intersection, left on Lowell Road and the second right on Monument St. Follow Monument St. until it ends at Route 225 in Carlisle (its name changes to River Rd. at some point). Turn left on Route 225 (Bedford Rd.) into Carlisle, and then turn left after a mile or so on Concord St., which will bring you all the way back to Concord Center (Concord St. becomes Lowell Rd. along the way).

At a leisurely pace I would guess this is about a 60-90 minute drive and includes beautiful New England scenery and a decent chance of seeing some early color. It also offers opportunities to stop and walk -- at Walden Pond and in Concord Center -- if your parents are up to it. Another option for stopping along the way is at the Decordova Museum on Sandy Pond Rd. in Lincoln. Even if you're not interested in going into the indoor exhibit spaces, they have a wonderful outdoor sculpture park that you can explore at your leisure.