FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:37 pm
Billygreg

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by catocony
Most business customers from DCA/IAD to New York prefer to fly into LGA since it's a much faster cab ride into the city. Maybe if UA beefed up IAD-LGA they could pick up some customers. Those of us who live near Dulles don't really use Amtrak since it's a long ride down to Union Station to catch a train. So, while Acela has nearly killed off the DCA-LGA hourly shuttles, it's not a great option for everyone.

I've flown IAD-JFK a bunch of times, but usually to then drive further out on Long Island. Fares on IAD-JFK were usually a few hundred bucks cheaper than to LGA, so it got some tourist business connecting in from elsewhere at IAD.

EWR really isn't an option for a lot of people. Cab fares through the tunnels are exorbitant, and taking the train from EWR to Penn Station and then cabbing/subway from there to wherever makes for a really long day.
This. Another bit of IAD/Dulles NoVa hating by UA. Why not just shoot us now? Not everyone wants to haul into DCA and there are plenty of us in NoVa who need to get to LI. And with the miserable excuse for flights they now have for IAD-LGA our access to NYC is now limited on UA. Jetblue has killed almost all their IAD-JFK (2x daily), leaving Delta as the only other one on this route. Delta also killed IAD-LGA last year so I am now forced again on a miserable drive into DCA where traffic means I can only take the 6AM out or a flight back after 7PM.