FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding GUF2
View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:51 am
chris1979

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Yes, exactly. If you book with BA, you can mix airlines. Book with a Travel Agent (to book the upgrade into revenue inventory T/D/A), you can't mix airlines (ie BA metal only bookings)
there's been various discussion on this in various GUF related threads.

my own experience is that I've been able to successfully get a GUF applied on a TA booking that included non-BA metal (with the upgrades only applying to BA metal flights as others have noted). I have also been sent (on here, so not on official letterhead or so) a copy of the rules which came into effect 27 May which states that a ticket can included non-BA metal.

As said, quite a bit of discusison on this in other threads and differing experiences (some not being able to GUF (including some suggesting that therefore the rule can't have been changed / that something isn't quite right)).

there's also discussion on whether the GUF might only work on BA code-share non-BA metal flights and that - IMHO - seems a likely answer of why it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt: i.e. that a ticket that includes non BA metal flights can be upgraded with a GUF if the non-BA metal flight is a BA codeshare but that that may not be the case when the non-BA metal flight is not a BA codeshare and instead a OW flight nunber (hope that makes sense).

suggest a search on this but as said, the above statement is NOT correct: it is possible (my and others experience & the rules I have seen effective 27th May 2014) to GUF TA bookings that include non-BA metal elements.