FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frequent Traveler University (FTU) Events [merged]
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:44 pm
neuron

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
If cash transactions were not prohibited on CC we could find out here on FT. But it seems to me that the fee should be comparable to the associated expenses for non-local attendees: roughly $400 for the hotel and either $100 for parking or about $500 for travel. Would I pay $1000 for AFTU? Nope. Would 100 people pay that? I think so.

I suggested on VFTW that the organizers attempt to cut the expensive hotel out of the equation next time. Go cheap all the way and charge more for the event itself. Everybody wins except the local attendees, who were getting too good a deal before.

I think the aFTU hotel rate was closer to $119 for Chicago. I have a rate even lower than that for this month's event based on BRG. The hotel rates are always dependent on the location, class of hotel and negotiations. I am sure the organizers work hard to get the best rate possible. Having booked conferences with >100 room nights, there are a lot of variable that go into the process. Further, there is no requirement that attendees stay at the host hotel. I have met people who hotel hop, book rewards, C+P...

I have attended 2 in the past, one where I stayed at the hotel and the rate in VA was affordable.

Also, as frequent flyers, I am sure you can find ways to economize. many people have done so, including sharing rooms, using hotel/airport shuttle, carpooling to minimize expenses. Isn't that part of the whole thing about FTU, learning how to travel smarter?