FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cabo San Lucas - Los Cabos - SJD hurricane Odile impact 9/14: conditions & status
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:05 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would not characterize the airport as a "total loss" because it plans to reopen Wed according to our latest TV news report. This means the runways are relatively undamaged and they can board from the tarmac (as has been the case anyway with all my flights). Obviously the terminals are a mess but it isn't clear how much water damage occurred and the debris in the lobby could easily be cleaned out in a few days.

The hotel situation varies depending on the resort - many have info posted on their websites though it will take a few days to assess the full extent of damage and to communicate out. Electricity has been cut by the authorities (for safety reasons) but some resorts have generators. The Villa properties are reporting minimal damage but Riu reports heavy damage. Photos show a couple of properties that are completely flooded on the ground floor and others with windows blown out from most of the rooms.

From what I've seen the damage looks similar to what we saw for Cancun after Wilma 2005. That took weeks to clean up completely and the airport was closed for at least two weeks.

I suspect the town will be cleaned up and fully open for business by Xmas if not Thanksgiving. But some hotels will need a lot more time than that.