FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Class Action Federal Lawsuit Aginst Delta RE: Best Fares Available
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:09 am
WhiskeyBravo

Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Assume:
F = number of fares filed per city pair
C = number of cities
n = number of segments

I want to fly AAA-BBB.

For a non-stop flight (n=1), there are F fare rules to check.
ok...

For exactly one connection, AAA-ZZZ-BBB, there are F fare rules to check for AAA-ZZZ and F fares to check for ZZZ-BBB. So, for one connection city (n=2), there are F^2 fares to check times C-2 cities (you cannot connect in AAA or BBB).
Not sure I agree.
Based on your above definitions of F,C, and n -- for one intermediate city there are F fare rules to check for AAA-ZZZ and F fare rules to check for ZZZ-BBB, plus the married segment rules. This means you have 2F+F fare rules to check, not F^2.
AAA-ZZZ
ZZZ-BBB
AAA-BBB

This is because e.g. once I've checked the B fare AAA-ZZZ, I don't have to check it again when I search for each fare of ZZZ-BBB. The 'married segment' fares, if they exist, then are checked once (the extra +F).

For exactly two connections, AAA-YYY-ZZZ-BBB
By my logic this would be C=4
singles
AAA-YYY
YYY-ZZZ
ZZZ-BBB
married
AAA-BBB
AAA-ZZZ + ZZZ-BBB(already checked)
AAA-YYY(already checked) + YYY-BBB

Thus the general form is ((C-1) + SIGMA( C from 1,(C-2) )) * (F fare rules)
where SIGMA is summation notation
Thus we have O(C^2) complexity which is polynomial time.

For C=5, =>
AAA-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-BBB

singles
AAA-XXX
XXX-YYY
YYY-ZZZ
ZZZ-BBB
married
AAA-BBB
AAA-XXX(ac) + XXX-BBB
AAA-XXX(ac) + XXX-ZZZ + ZZZ-BBB(ac)
AAA-YYY + YYY-BBB
AAA-ZZZ + ZZZ-BBB(ac)

This handles the one-way case. The return case is either a simple return ticket (F fare rules), or a limited set of open-jaw + one-ways.

We now introduce a new variable D= max number of potential connection cities and D >= C-2
We would check the following scenarios in order.
C=2,D=0
AAA-BBB-AAA

C=3,D=1
AAA-ZZZ-BBB-ZZZ-AAA
AAA-ZZZ-BBB-ZZZ + ZZZ-AAA
AAA-ZZZ-AAA + ZZZ-BBB-ZZZ
AAA-ZZZ + ZZZ-BBB-ZZZ + ZZZ-AAA
C=3,D=2
repeat C=3,D=1 for YYY
AAA-ZZZ-BBB-YYY-AAA
AAA-ZZZ-BBB-YYY + YYY-AAA
AAA-ZZZ + ZZZ-BBB-YYY + YYY-AAA
AAA-ZZZ,YYY-AAA(as OJ) + ZZZ-BBB-YYY

AAA-YYY-BBB-ZZZ-AAA
AAA-YYY-BBB-ZZZ + ZZZ-AAA
AAA-YYY + YYY-BBB-ZZZ + ZZZ-AAA
AAA-YYY,ZZZ-AAA(as OJ) + YYY-BBB-ZZZ

For the sake of brevity i'll stop here. Suffice to say, within the DL system, and within sane pricing and timing maximums, the number of possibilities is quite low. C is at most 6 (4 connections? many domestic fare rules limit this to 2 or 3) D is most likely usually 4 or 5 of ATL,DTW,MSP,SEA,LAX,JFK? As C is at most 6 even if it scales as O(n^n), thats only 46xxx combinations which is easily computable.
Furthermore, many of these search branches can quickly be eliminated as the price is optimized, e.g. if AAA-YYY costs more than the current 'most optimal' route, all routes which require an AAA-YYY one-way can be eliminated. Timing rules hack away further at this with a 4 hour max connection time on domestic searches. Lastly, some fares are not combinable, and for DL's sake we will say that this all needs to be issued in one ticket.

Last edited by WhiskeyBravo; Sep 12, 2014 at 5:11 am