FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tip envelopes in rooms
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:29 pm
joshua362

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by angatol
If we're talking about logic, wouldn't it be more logical if their employer helps these people in need rather than rely on the whims of customers? After all, the hotel can vary the rate by $300/night seemingly without showing much compassion to their employees. What about the cleaner who cleans the lobby, bar or restaurant bathrooms? Don't these poor people in need deserve anything?
Great point, maybe all employees need a percentage of the gate instead.

Tipping is a system completely out of whack like the IRS code that will never be fixed without blowing it up entirely and starting over.

In thinking of this, I recall how I was a paperboy for 50 customers from 11-17 years old bicycling in the cold/heat/rain/snow of the Northeast delivering consistently 8 days a week, for an average 25 cent tip. I made $20 a week. But my employer only provided $7.50 or 38% of that for all the labor, gas, insurance, danger, etc that we saved them. There was no calling in sick, vacations, paid time off, backup, excuses, money for equipment, etc, just a monumental personal commitment. What a scam, where were the child labor laws?

I tip the housekeeping because of the tradition, I guess, like everyone else and ignore those who are traditionally ignored.

I do regret not tipping everyday when I stayed at the Orlando World Center Tuesday-Saturday for a conference while the kids & wife went to Disney. Everyday, my daughter's little teddy bear and blanket was neatly tucked into her bed for when she got back. Stupid me waited until checkout on Saturday to give her $20 for the week it was grabbed by someone working the weekend!