FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lawsuit re: salary information
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:51 am
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
QR does some atrocious things with their salary scales and whilst it might be nice to help employees present and future I must, regrettably, be mindful that my Clients should have confidence in my discretion.
Is it atrocious? Any employee wants to earn the highest possible salary that he can, and any business wants to pay each employee the lowest possible salary (subject, of course, to getting the right skills) that he/she will accept. If both sides agree, then both should be satisfied.

For Emirates and other companies in the GCC, to use this example, it's not as simple as just discriminating based on nationality. They have to take the various labor markets in which they operate into account. If they need Swedish speakers, it will cost them more than Filipino/English speakers, since most Swedish speakers won't take the job at the same price as people from other countries, so they end up paying Swedes more. I don't see anything unfair about this.

My company employs people from Myanmar, and on average they make less than employees from Lebanon. People from Myanmar were often making $50 a month back home, so they are happy to have the salaries that we are paying. We don't have a salary scale by nationality, but rather by job grade; most Lebanese end up on the higher end of the scale and Myanmar natives on the lower end. (We can't, and wouldn't want to, have a 100% Myanmar scale, because we want a diverse workforce and need some Arabic speakers anyway.)