FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help routing home from OZ via Asia, business?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:16 pm
sunnikrish2

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jennlindberg
Hi Guv,

I searched using Qantas, BA, and AA. I go back and forth between them. I am not sure how to see CX or JAL seats.

We're willing to be creative and split if needed. That would be better if we were on the same flight, harder on different flights. We just need to get home by 1.5.15, and preferably a bit earlier. Ideally, we'd be home by 1.2.15.

Thanks for your reply!

Jenn
I dont have any experience with award travel to OZ, but I have found the following helpful in finding seats to Asia. I assume that you found seats outbound.

1. Be prepared to split into a combination of business and economy and search starting 2 seats at a time.
2. Consider some tickets with paid one way return in Y. I have seen one way back from Asia (not sure about OZ) be not expensive compared to the one-way outbound which can often exceed RT price.
3. Look for CX to HKG and then US or JL to TYO and then US. The number of miles needed may go up. You can search for these on ba.com after getting a BA FF account - but I suspect you have tried this already. CX/JL options should list along with other BA options.
4. Look for seats to US gateways plus an additional 25K one way AAnytime. Dallas might be another option (drive to Austin).
5. There are other award search options, but I have not tried any yet, since CX works for me most of the time.